Friday, October 17, 2008

The 9th Ladies Roller Hockey World Championship

The what??

The rather small town of Ouchi where I work was recently catapulted into the world spotlight as the Roller Hockey World Championship took place here. Twelve countries entered in this prestigious event; Japan, South Africa, Argentina, USA, England, Macau, Spain, Portugal, Chile, France and India. The competition took place from October 5th to 11th at the main gymnasium in Ouchi, Yurihonjo.

As my main school is only 5 minutes away from the gym, I decided to go see what all the hype was about. It was the perfect way for me to figure out just what in fact roller hockey was. Many of my co-workers were asking me if I knew what it was, they also had never heard of this strange sport before.


But as a sport it is actually quite interesting to watch. It's very fast, and does seem to require a good deal of skill. Perhaps I liked it because it had many similarities to hurling... if you use your imagination!! The players were even taking the ball up on their stick before striking at goal.

Not too many people outside a few family members had come with the teams, so the gym was never full. And there wasn't even an entry fee. We went to watch the final too. Portugal were beaten by Spain in the final 3 goals to 1.

1 comment: