Monday, March 23, 2009

Nuts

Last Thursday just before we left the staff room to go for lunch, the teachers gathered for a chat as they often do. I was trying to understand what they were saying because I kept hearing the word missile.

At lunch I asked the teacher I always sit with, Takahashi sensei, what they had been talking about. He told me that North Korea has announced that they are launching a satellite early next month, but the Japanese don't believe this to be the truth. Apparently North Korea is actually planning to test-fire missiles over Japan, more specifically over Aomori and Akita! It is planned for between April 4th and 8th.

The Japanese are planning on shooting down these missiles before pass over Japan. I asked how good the Japanese are at doing that, and was told that they haven't done it before, and that they are quite likely to miss!

I was wondering how concerned people actually were about this, so I asked him if he would go on a holiday away from Akita for the days that the missiles would be tested. He answered in Japanese and but said something the equivalent of "You can bet your right nut I am!"

1 comment:

  1. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/13/north-korea-japan-nuclear-missile

    ReplyDelete