Monday, April 13, 2009

Getting buried

Spring has finally arrived in Akita. All the snow is gone, the sun has arrived, heaters have been stowed away, and hats and scarves are no longer necessary when going to bed. Yesterday was the hottest day of the year, a little over 20°C, and I was able to wear a short sleeved t-shirt for the first time this year.

So to celebrate the fantastic weather I decided to go to a place called Wagagunyuda Town just inside Iwate prefecture, to visit the Sunayukko sand bath (砂ゆっこ). Hot, natural onsen water flows underneath the sand to heat it. After lying down in the shallow grave like hole, the workers there used shovels to bury all but my face in hot sand. They then wrote a number in the sand over my feet indicating what time I got buried at, presumably to avoid accidentally cooking me.

After 10 minutes the sweat was dripping down my face. A woman came over with a cold towel and mopped my face, and disappeared. Another 10 minutes passed and my friend, who had been buried 5 minutes after me asked to be dug out early. I was told my time was up and could get up; my friend was told that her time was not yet up and to stay another few minutes.


It was my first time to a sand bath, and definitely an enjoyable experience, though it was very hot in there. And the onsen that is available afterwards was probably one of the hottest onsens I have been to in Japan. But I felt fantastic afterwards! I was hoping to take my own photos while we were there but unfortunately that wasn't possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment